Confirmation Classes Meet every Wed. Night at 4:30pm
2011 Confirmation Class
St. Mark’s Lutheran Church
Policy Guidelines for Confirmation Instruction
In Scripture we are exhorted to “Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18). As such, we are given a mandate that we should give Christian Education and instruction a high priority in our lives. As well, those in leadership in the church of Christ are given the injunction to feed the lambs. It is in this context that we can understand the process of Confirmation instruction assumes paramount importance. As such, we offer the following guidelines and parameters for our mutual understanding.
1. Class instructors will teach the Bible, Luther’s Small Catechism, and other Lutheran doctrines in accordance with the Lutheran Confession of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and Article II of the Constitution of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church.
2. The Confirmation program at St. Mark’s Lutheran church is a Three year program. Students are expected to attend and participate in all three years of the program in order to attain Confirmation privileges, regardless of current age and/or grade level. Individual cases will be assessed as such.
3. Students are expected to prepare for and study the materials assigned in class and then participate in class activities.
4. The instructor will determine the acceptable level of learning and participation for each student in order for that student to be promoted to the next level of instruction and/or Confirmation.
5. Students are expected to attend Sunday worship services accompanied by at least 1 parent or guardian and to complete 16 sermon notes throughout the Confirmation Year. Half of these should be completed by 1-2-2012.
6. It is strongly suggested that students regularly attend Middle School Bible Study on Sunday mornings in order to further facilitate their spiritual growth.
7. Students are expected to serve as acolytes in services of worship at St. Mark’s as scheduled.
8. Students are expected to render at least 12 hours of service to St. Mark’s, including duties as an acolyte. Additionally, I understand my child is to have completed 10 hours of community service, of which some but not all may be completed through opportunities offered by St. Marks.
9. Students are expected to participate in at least 2 outside activities sponsored by St. Marks in order to grow in fellowship and build relationships with other students as to be the Body of Christ.
10. All requirements must be completed by April 1, 2012 in order for the requirements to be reviewed by the Confirmation Staff, Pastor Silber, and the Board of Elders of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church.
11. Students who do not complete the above requirements and turn in the proper forms in a timely fashion risk the possibility of not advancing to the next level of instruction, or in the case of year 3 students, may lose the privilege of Confirmation.